- Identify Linked Mode Prerequisites
- Identify differences between Linked and non-linked vCenter Server Configurations
- Identify when a role requires reconciliation
Skills and Abilities
- Reconcile Roles in a Linked Mode Configuration
- Create and Join a Linked Mode Group
- Determine use cases for vCenter Server Linked Mode
- Troubleshoot Linked Mode Configurations
- ESX and vCenter Server Installation Guide
- vSphere Datacenter Administration Guide
- Product Documentation
- vSphere Client
- Available with Standard licensing and above.
- Uses ADAM DB
- Supported amount of hosts/VMs is 3000/10,000
Identify Linked Mode Prerequisites
Refer to VMware’s online documentation for more information about Linked Mode.
Linked Mode vCenter Servers must meet all the requirements of a standard build plus:
- Operational DNS for Linked Mode Replication
- Two way trust relationship if in different domain or the same domain for vCenter servers that are linked
- An account with admin privileges on both the existing and to be linked vCenter server system.
- Network time must be synchronized amongst servers
Identify differences between Linked and non-linked vCenter Server Configurations
Identify when a role requires reconciliation
Reconciliation will happen automatically when configuring linked mode if any differences exist that you have not yet resolved. If conflicts occur the role on the joining system is renamed.
Reconcile Roles in a Linked Mode Configuration
Refer to VMware’s online documentation for reconciling roles in a linked mode config.
Create and Join a Linked Mode Group
Refer to VMware’s online documentation for direction on creating and joining a linked mode group.
Note that the first vCenter server will be configured as a standalone while the others can join a Linked Mode group.
Determine use cases for vCenter Server Linked Mode
Linked mode is geared towards larger environments where administration may become more difficult. Linked mode helps with this by providing a scalable architecture that allows visibility across multiple instances of vCenter server. Roles, permissions, and license are replicated.
Troubleshoot Linked Mode Configurations
Refer to VMware’s online documentation for direction on how to troubleshoot Linked Mode config. A lot of the setup is going to rely on your DNS and AD infrastructure so keeping in mind that those two pieces are crucial to this running
is your first step in troubleshooting issues.